Like/Share/Tag competitions – are you violating Facebook’s terms?
You may be familiar with Facebook competitions, popular with businesses and commonly used to boost engagement and page likes. But did you know that many of these competitions are in fact against Facebook’s policy?
If you’re thinking about using a Facebook contest for your business and don’t want to risk getting your page banned, read on to learn how to get it right without the risk of violating Facebook’s terms and conditions.
So, what can and can’t you do exactly?
It’s fairly common knowledge that asking people to tag and share your posts is a violation of Facebook’s terms and conditions, but surprisingly many businesses are still choosing to use such competitions to boost their engagement and page likes.
If you want to use a Facebook contest, here are some tips on what you can do, and what to avoid.
How to engage your fans
You can start by using enticing words such as GIVEAWAY and WIN to grab your audience’s attention. By doing this, your Facebook audience know the details of the competition and how it can benefit them, encouraging them to read more, and enticing them to enter!
Get straight to the point
You may often come across ads or promotions that include lengthy paragraphs of text before getting to the details of the competition or offer. When writing your Facebook competition text, try to keep it snappy and to the point or risk losing the attention of your audience and them scrolling past because they lost interest.
Capture attention with a high quality, attractive image
To help grab the attention of your Facebook fans and encourage them to read the details of your Facebook competitions, you’ll want to include an eye-catching image with your posts.
Need help creating attention-grabbing social media graphics? We can help!
You CAN ask people to enter by:
- Liking a post
- Commenting on a post
- Sending a direct message to your page
- Posting directly to your page
- Clicking on a link to your website to enter to competition
You CANNOT ask people to enter by:
- Sharing your page to their timeline
- Sharing your post to their timeline
- Tagging a friend in your post
- Liking your page
- Sharing your post or page to a friend’s timeline
Facebook make it clear in their guidelines that Facebooks contests should include the following:
- Acknowledgement that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by or associated with Facebook.
- A complete release of Facebook by each entrant or participant.
To avoid getting your page banned the following guidelines must be met when administering a Facebook promotion:
- Promotions may be administered on Pages, groups, events or within apps on Facebook. Personal timelines and friend connections must not be used to administer promotions (e.g. “share on your timeline to enter” or “share on your friend’s timeline to get additional entries” and “tag your friends in this post to enter” are not permitted).
Facebook’s terms can change periodically, so it’s always worth checking their terms and conditions before creating your competition or promotion.